We’ve previously listed causes of bad cell signal on our blog, but cellphones.org have put the info into a great graphic. Nice to see repeaters listed first in ways to improve reception!
A summary of the causes of bad cell reception:
- Large distance from the nearest cell towers, found in rural areas and offshore
- Signal blocked by large structures – large buildings, mountains, tunnels, trees etc
- Construction materials which block cell phone signal
- High density urban areas have many low powered towers which emit weak signal that cannot penetrate buildings
- Network congestion – poor signal during times of unexpected network load such as large conferences, music festivals, local emergency situations etc.